Friday, January 22, 2016

Storm - Acrylic Landscape Painting and Time-lapse Video

Hello everyone. We are currently in the middle of a large winter storm here in North Carolina, and it snowed this morning! As a Californian who lived the Central Valley growing up where it never snowed, I can think of only two times that it snowed in Modesto, I am still a little excited to see snow on the ground. 

For those who live in snowy climates, forgive my child-like enthusiasm; however, I thought that today would be the perfect day to share my latest landscape painting depicting storm clouds. I do enjoy painting representational art (art that depicts an object or scene with a strong sense of realism), not just abstracts, and here a beautiful example of the former.



“Storm.” Acrylic on Canvas. 9 x 12 in. Artist Charles Wolf.
Charles Wolf Studio © 2016. All Rights Reserved.


This painting posed an interesting challenge as I was utilizing acrylic paints, where, in the past, I used oils in my landscape/representational paintings. Acrylics dry quickly, so they can be challenging to work with when you are attempting a realistic blended, diffused light look, especially in the clouds.

Here is a link to a time-lapse video of me painting of this piece, “Storm,” from my YouTube Channel. I use a 1-inch brush for the sky and lake, a palette knife for the foreground banks and pines, as well as a small liner brush for some of the final touches. 



 "Storm." Time-lapse Painting Video. Artist Charles Wolf. 
Charles Wolf Studio © 2016. All Rights Reserved. 



Note: My photography of the painting is taken in direct light, similar to what you would see in a gallery, which means that the actual painting is darker looking when viewed with natural and diffused, indoor lighting. A take most of my painting photos under direct light so that the viewer can see of the colors very well, but this changes the aesthetic of the work to a certain degree. Basically, the painting looks even stormier in person! 


Thank you all for viewing my latest painting and be sure to check out the time-lapse video above (only 15 min long - feel free to skip forward if you would like). On Monday, I will be posting a "how to paint storm clouds" video taken from the footage of this painting, where I will walk you, step-by-step, through the painting process with clear audio and text instructions!

Stay warm and be creative,

—Charles     

Don’t forget to subscribe to this blog via email (top right sidebar); you can follow this blog each week via my Google+ PageImpulsive Artistry Facebook Page, and on Twitter @ArtImpulsive



No comments: