Wednesday, January 20, 2016

"Evening Garden" - Original Acrylic Impressionistic/Abstracted Landscape Painting

 Hello everyone,

As an artist, I am often trying out new ideas, but they don’t always work out the way that I expect. This painting is an example of just that very thing, but in the case, it worked out for the better! I began painting this piece with the idea of a wave, abstracted of course, moving across a two-canvas painting which would then form a single piece. This was the largest painting that I have attempted so far, 16 x 40 inches.

To say the least, I got about in hour into painting when I realized that it was not working out the way I wanted. I was stuck, I was not sure how to improve what I had, and I needed to effectively start over. This was disappointing, but I kept at it, and moved the painting in a whole new direction, building off the colors already on the canvas from my previous failed attempt.

 My new idea was for an evening scene, using the impressionistic technique of placing blocks of pure color side by side to form an image, but with bright, bolder and more modern colors. I initially was going to paint a pure abstract, but as I worked, I realized that I could create a flowery garden scene with reflections on a murky pond. In the end, this painting became my fourth painting in my reflections series. Notice that canvas on the left is more representational (realistic looking), and that the other moves into a heighten level of abstraction on the closest clump of flowers.

The result of my efforts:



"Evening Garden." 4th Painting of the Reflection Series. 
Acrylic on Canvas. 16 x 40 in. Artist Charles Wolf. 
Charles Wolf Studio © 2016. All Rights Reserved.  




"Evening Garden." Left Canvas, 16 x 20 in. Charles Wolf Studio © 2016. 




"Evening Garden." Right Canvas, 16 x 20 in. Charles Wolf Studio © 2016. 


Below is a time-lapse video of me painting this work; I added a few of the final details after I turned off the camera on the following day, needed more structure, but this video begins at the point when I started in a new direction. Enjoy!





Thank you so much for viewing my work, watching the video, and reading this article. Have a fantastic creative and artistic day! Feel free to ask me any questions below about myself, my work, techniques etc…


—Charles

No comments: