Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Painting an Abstract: "Purple Sunset" (Real Time Video)


Purple Sunset. Abstracted Cityscape. Acrylic on Canvas. 9 x 12 in. 
Artist Charles Wolf. Charles Wolf Studio © 2016.  

Hello, here is the Wednesday post for this week! I have spent the last weekend and two weekdays feverishly editing this longer painting video for you all to enjoy! This is a real time painting video…

I know!

I haven’t done one of these in a while, because I know that most people do enjoy watching the time-lapse painting videos just as well as the real time ones; however, an artist friend of mine and fellow YouTuber, Dave Usher, recently mentioned that he enjoyed watching real time videos that contain audio commentary and asked if I could do more of them. I thought this was a good idea, and proceeded to create this one.

As I discuss in the video, when I started to paint this abstracted acrylic cityscape, titled “Purple Sunset,” I set a strict one-hour time limit on myself, meaning I would stop at that point and was going to need to finish the piece by then... I did it!

The longest part of the video editing was actually the audio editing on the commentary instructions that I include in this painting video, which I hope you all will find interesting. I discuss techniques, the paint combinations that I am using, along with other related concepts and ideas. 

The Painting Video:



Do you think I should make a Part Two and spend another hour on this painting? Or do you think that it is already finished? I could go either way, so let me know what you think in the comments below!


If you would like to paint this piece, or one like it, here is a list of the materials that you will need:

Materials:
1 Inch Brush
Palette Knife
9 x 12 in. Canvas
Acrylic Red Gesso
Water
Paper Towel
Palette Board (Cardboard works well)

Acrylic Paint Palette:
Alizarin Crimson
Cobalt Blue
Mars Black
Yellow Ochre
Titanium White

Prime the canvas with the Gesso, I use an Acrylic Red Vermillion Gesso; let it dry completely before beginning your painting.

Thanks for watching the video and viewing my latest abstract painting today! As always, have a great creative Wednesday, and I will be back on Friday with a just-for-fun post that I think you will all enjoy!

No comments: