Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Guest Artist Feature: Hali Duran, Film Director and Composer


I have played the violin for far longer than I can remember (my dad started me on the violin at the age of three). It shaped my thoughts and feelings as a young girl growing up in rural southwestern New Mexico. I got into fiddling and began competing at the age of five, winning three state fiddling championships when I was 10, 11, and 12. The fiddling community was always good to me, and I have a lot of fond memories. 



The Promise - "The Road Ahead" Album. 
Composer and Violinist: Hali Duran. © 2010. All Rights Reserved. 

Though I found my niche, I was never truly happy competing and performing. When I was nine, I started making movies with my dad’s camcorder, and fell in love. My guinea pigs were my friends, younger brother, and cousins... Anyone willing to endure my crazy shoots was a candidate! I was also always writing scripts, lots of scripts. I found myself listening to movie scores. Instead of filling my shelf with pop CDs, I bought movie soundtracks. I still get goose bumps when I hear the opening to Jurassic Park. This is how these two passions started. 



The Inevitable (excerpt). Composer: Hali Duran © 2015. 
From the film "Blue Sky." All Rights Reserved.  

I did not formally learn to read music until I was 16. The next year, as a senior in high school, I performed with the Modesto Junior College Orchestra and went on to get accepted to CODA (California Orchestra Directors Association) Honor Orchestra and California All-State Symphony Orchestra, performing with some of the best young musicians from the state of California.




Run (excerpt). Composer: Hali Duran © 2015. 
From the film "Blue Sky." All Rights Reserved. 

As I got older, I realized that I didn’t want to perform anymore. Though it was fun, and I got to work with a lot of great people, I found myself wanting something different. Filmmaking was always in the back of my mind.  I wanted to go back to making movies with my friends again, this time the right way. I found a film school in Arizona and decided that I would give it a try. A year course, some student short films under my belt and a renewed passion, I was truly inspired. Working on my final school film project, I found myself doing almost everything: the script, directing, editing and the score. That's where my passion transformed from just directing to also composing. 


Finale (excerpt). Composer: Hali Duran © 2015. 
From the film "Blue Sky." All Rights Reserved.

I found a real enthusiasm in both filmmaking and film composing. I am currently enrolled in Berklee College Of Music's online degree program for Music Composition for Film, TV and Games and am working on the script for my first feature film, all the while raising my son, River. Everything I do is in honor of my dad, Scott Pekron, who died when I was 11. He taught me what perseverance meant and what it means to never give up. 


Innocence - "The Road Ahead" Album. 
Composer and Violinist: Hali Duran. © 2010. All Rights Reserved. 





SHORT BIO:

Hali Duran is a music composer and writer/director. She been playing the violin since she was 3 years old and has been composing music since she was 10. Hali has also directed numerous short films and commercials. 


Here is a link to my website:

A link to Snowden Exterminating commercial I directed:

https://vimeo.com/87919127



Subscribe to Impulsive Artistry!



Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner

Share this amazing Guest Artist Feature post on social media! Simply click on any of the following icons to share:

No comments: