Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Creating “Last Light,” Oil Painting + Video


Sunset over Burlington, Vermont. 
Photo by Charles Wolf. Impulsive Artistry © 2016.  

I am back! My wife and I enjoyed a great week of vacationing in Vermont, but are happy to return to our normal routine in North Carolina. Traveling is always so much fun, but it can be tiring after several consecutive days of outings. We enjoyed hiking, photography, visiting new places (like Montreal, Canada), dining, seeing family, and exploring the beautiful downtown of Burlington, Vermont on the banks of Lake Champlain this past week – new photo sets coming soon!

Today however, I wanted to share my latest painting that I created the week before last. A fellow artist and blogger, Kim Clay, inspired this work through a painting challenge she put up several weeks ago on her blog, Kim’s Daily Painting: https://kimsdailypainting.blogspot.com/

As part of the challenge, she provided a wonderful sunset photograph and asked us all to paint the same picture. What is remarkable about art, and I can attest to this from my painting courses in college, is that even though a group of artists may be painting the same scene, no two paintings will be exactly alike. The artist’s personal preferences via color choices, approach, composition, medium, and materials will be highlighted in their individual works. After we completed our paintings, Kim very kindly featured them on her blog and we could see what we each did! Here is a link to this painting on her blog: 

Here is the photograph that she gave us:


 Kim's Painting Challenge Photograph. 

With my take on this photo, I decided that I wanted the orange to be the center point of the composition. I also decided to push the blue in the clouds and diminish the purple haze throughout. I love the composition over all, and I went with a very large square canvas, 24 x 24 in. This is the largest single canvas painting that I have created so far. An element that is lost in the photograph of "Last Light" is the vibrancy of the yellow above the sun in my painting. In evening light, this piece shimmers brightly and literally glows from within. I also changed the clouds a bit, giving more room to the sun (artistic license is a wonderful thing). 

Overall this was a very successful painting, and I am ecstatic with the final result. I just want to add that my goal is not to be photo realistic in this work, but to pull out the components that appeal to me from the photograph as an artist, and to share my creative vision and emotional response through my art.


"Last Light," Oil on Canvas, 24 x 24 in. Artist Charles Wolf. Impulsive Artistry © 2016. All Rights Reserved. 


“Last Light” – Instructional Painting Video

I intended these videos to be used for educational purposes only. Do not copy this work and then resell your imitation, as that is a violation of copyright.


"Last Light" Instructional Painting Video, Part 1. 
Artist Charles Wolf. Impulsive Artistry © 2016. 
Impulsive Artistry Blog Productions. All Rights Reserved. 


Be sure to subscribe to my painting channel on YouTube for more great videos like this one!




Color Palette (Oil Paint) for “Last Light”

Cobalt Blue
Prussian Blue
Raw Umber
Raw Sienna
Burnt Sienna
Permanent Red
Cadmium Yellow
Lemon Yellow
Soft Mixing White

Materials Used to Create “Last Light.”

Liquid White (Medium)
Linseed Oil (Medium)
Paper Towels
Cup with Non-Toxic, Odorless Paint Thinner
Drop Cloth
24 x 24 Inch Canvas
Easel or Flat Surface
1 Inch Brush
½ Inch Brush
2 Small Round Brushes
Fan Brush


Buy My Art!


Check out all my art at the Impulsive Artistry Etsy Shop and consider supporting my work by buying a painting today! I have reduced the prices on many of my works, something to fit everyone's budget! 


Click on any thumbnail below to link to my shop:



Question of the Day!

Where is your favorite place to take sunset photos? Let me know in the comments below or on the Impulsive Artistry Facebook Page!

Have you tried to paint a sunset painting before? It is a not as difficult as you might think. If would like to give it a try, but this particular painting seems too challenging, here is an easier sunset painting video that you can use to guide you through the process that I made several months ago.


"Orange Sky" Easy Sunset (Acrylic) Painting Video. 
Artist Charles Wolf. Impulsive Artistry © 2016. 
Impulsive Artistry Blog Productions. 

As always, have a fantastic creative day!

—Charles
Make My Day! 
Subscribe to the Impulsive Artistry's Email List: 



Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner

Share this Blog Post on social media! Simply click on any of the following icons to share:

No comments: