Thursday, September 1, 2016

Red Field, Acrylic Painting – Experimenting with Color!

Whenever you have a long term, on-going creative project, for me that’s painting, making YouTube videos and blogging – you find that it can be easy to get into a rut with your work. Shaking things up a bit and trying something new can be a great way to inject renewed enthusiasm and excitement about your undertaking. My latest painting does just that as I dive into a new style! 




Red Field. Acrylic on Canvas, 11x14in. Artist Charles Wolf. Impulsive Artistry © 2016. All Rights Reserved. 

For today’s featured piece, there are three artists who I must mention as inspirations. As an aside, this is an original composition, so I am not copying anyone’s work, simply taking note of their style and incorporating elements that I find engaging as an artist to create a new work of art.

My friend and fellow artist, Dave Usher, whose watercolor work I’ve featured on this blog (link below), recently created a painting on his YouTube channel titled “Taking Risks in Cornwall.” His piece depicted a stormy sky with bright red and green hills. 

Dave Usher – Intro to Watercolor Painting LINK

I also enjoy the work of Woody Jackson, a well-known Vermont artist whose work you may have seen on the pints of Ben and Jerry ice cream. He is famous for his cows, but several of his paintings contain bright red fields in a comic book style. 

Lastly, I love the fantasy landscapes of Bill Watterson, the comic strip artist of Calvin and Hobbs. Specifically, I am thinking of the “Adventures of Spaceman Spiff,” and his exploration of distant planets that resemble the orange and reds of Utah. 

Combining elements from each, I painted this fun, colorful, and experimental acrylic landscape that could be the first of more attempts in this vein – we will see. With this piece, I was really letting my intuition guide me through the painting process, starting with a loose idea and working forward. Now that I have completed one in this style, I have learned a few things, and have several ideas about ways I could improve this approach in the future. 

“Red Field” – Painting Videos! 



"Red Field." Acrylic Timelapse Painting Video with EDM. 
Artist Charles Wolf. Impulsive Artistry © 2016. 
Impulsive Artistry Blog Productions. All Rights Reserved.



"Red Field." Full-length Instructional Painting Video. 
Artist Charles Wolf. Impulsive Artistry © 2016. 
An Impulsive Artistry Blog Production. All Rights Reserved.  

Impulsive Artistry Etsy Shop



All of my artwork can be purchased at the Impulsive Artistry Etsy Shop at the link below. I have lots of paintings to choose from that would make the perfect accent, or statement, to any home or office. Purchase some original art and support an artist today!

Impulsive Artistry Etsy Shop LINK


Subscribe to this Blog via Email:

Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner
Question(s) of the Day:

What did you think of my latest painting? 
Any ideas about what I should paint next?

Let me know in the comments below or at the Impulsive Artistry Facebook Page or on Twitter: @ArtImpulsive! Thank you so much for stopping by and viewing my work today. Have a great creative weekend, and I will see you all next week! 

—Charles

Share this blog post with your friends and family on Social Media. Hit any icon below to link this post: 

No comments: