Thursday, July 14, 2016

Baja Sunset, Original Oil Painting

Hello and welcome back to Impulsive Artistry! Today, I would like to share a new painting that was commissioned very recently. The client sent me a photograph taken on his vacation to Baja, Mexico, of a stunning sunrise. The focal point for this composition is the moored boats set against the setting sun. This painting took about 8 hours of work to complete; I desired to capture the gentle coloring of the photo and the atmospheric mood. The sky proved to be surprisingly complicated, due the subtle shifts in hue, and of course the boats contain some delicate line-work that cannot be rushed. With this work, I was not attempting to be photo realistic, but to capture the essence or feeling of the fading light, merely suggesting the boats for example. I had an engaging time working on this piece and enjoyed the creative challenge that it provided.

Here is the photograph that the client sent me:


 "Baja Sunset" Photo by Dennis V. © 2016. 
All Rights Reserved. 

Below is the complete painting, I did not include a few of the boats:


Impulsive Artistry YouTube Channel - Painting Overview Video:

While I did not film the creation of the artwork like I normally do—I figured that it would take too long to paint, i.e. too much editing—I did create the following short overview video where I talk about some of the techniques that I used during the painting process.


Commission a Painting:

If you would like to commission a painting, please contact me at the provided email address below. Send me an original photograph (can’t be someone else’s photo from the Internet), and let me know what size painting you would like, current pricing is listed below as well. Please note that at the present time I do not paint figures, animals or portraits, but specialize in nature scenes, landscapes, sunrise/sunset, cityscapes and abstract paintings.   

CharlesWolfStudio@Yahoo.com

9x12 inch painting: $150
16x20 inch painting: $225
18x24 inch painting: $300

More of my artwork is available for purchase at the Impulsive Artistry Etsy Shop:



Upcoming Live Painting Demonstration:

For those of you who live in the Central Valley of California, I will be at the Valley Home Educators Convention giving a Painting Demonstration on Friday, July 22nd at 1pm in the Sacramento room of the Double Tree Hotel in Downtown Modesto. I will also have a booth, so stop by and say hello!  

Here is a link to the website for more info about the convention, I hope to see you there!


Sunrise/Sunset Photo Contest



Join the Sunrise or Sunset Photo Contest on the Impulsive Artistry Facebook Page, link below. 

Follow the link and submit your best Sunrise or Sunset photo. The winning picture will be featured in a blog bonus post here on Impulsive Artistry!  

Entries accepted until 7/24/16!




Question of the Day:

 Where have you seen the most amazing sunset in your life?

Let me know in the comments below or on the Impulsive Artistry Facebook Page!

Thank you so much for stopping by today, I hope that you will visit the blog again soon. Have an amazing weekend and a great creative day!

—Charles

Join the Impulsive Artistry Email List: 


Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner
    

No comments: