Monday, May 22, 2017

Getting Wild With The Paint: Shards #1 - Acrylic Abstract + Videos


Shards #1 - Closeup. Artist Charles Wolf. 
Acrylic on Canvas, 12x24in. Impulsive Artistry © 2017.

Some days you face the blank canvas before you wondering what you will paint on it - how each section will be filled and the composition unfold. I have mentioned in previous blog posts that I strive for innovation in my visual art, pushing myself outside of my comfort zone and trying new things consistently. As I have contemplated my abstract work, I have discovered that I generally like to fill-in the entire canvas with paint, leaving little of the actual canvas showing through. I also tend to work in large color blocks over smaller/busier textures, my oil painting "Coral Reef" typifies this style. 


Today - I am throwing all of that out. Every decision I made was purposefully counterintuitive to and the polar-opposite of my usual choices. I worked with small blocks of paint repeated regularly across the composition leaving large gaps of the canvas showing. Additionally, I chose high-contrast complementary colors: Aqua and Naphthol Crimson, which dance in a flickering battle for dominance of the visual space. I chose to hang this canvas tilted at a 45 degree angle, which forces the viewer to acknowledge not only the paint on the canvas, but also the canvas itself as part of the work. 

How To Paint "Shards #1":


Shards #1 - DIY Complete Painting Lesson. Artist Charles Wolf. 
Impulsive Artistry © 2017. All Rights Reserved.

One candid viewer commented that the effect made her "sea-sick," but another remarked that it reminder her of "koi swimming in a pond." However this work makes you feel or what you see, I am just delighted that you are having a reaction. Maybe this work is a little too crazy for some, and that's fine — it's a bit too crazy for even me, and I painted it! :   ) Sometimes it feels great to be experimental, have some fun, and try to create a piece that you normally wouldn't paint. Getting out of your box can be a difficult task, which is why I think we all need a little impulsive artistry in our lives now again. 


Shards #1. Artist Charles Wolf. 
Acrylic on Canvas, 12x24in. Impulsive Artistry © 2017.


Acrylic Paint:

PVA Glue

Aqua Green
Naphthol Crimson
Red Oxide
Mars Black

Materials: 
Palette Knife
3 Inch Brush
Canvas, 12x24in. 
Easel or Flat Surface
Drop Cloth
Watercup
Palette (Cardboard) 
Paper Towel

"Shards #1" Time Lapse Video: 


    Shards #1 - Time Lapse Painting Video. Artist Charles Wolf. 
Impulsive Artistry © 2017. All Rights Reserved.

Thank you for stopping by today here at Impulsive Artistry. I hope you enjoyed seeing today's wild painting. I'll leave you all with a great quote by Andy Warhol: 

“Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art.”



Have a fantastic, impulsively creative week,

—Charles

Follow Impulsive Artistry:

No comments: