Wednesday, December 23, 2015

Tis the Season - 2 Days Out!

Excitement is in the air! Yes, we are only two days from that magical Christmas morning!! For those of you who watched my Winter Pines Drawing video, you know that Christmas is a big deal in my home.

My wife and I both love this time year: listening to Frank Sinatra singing Christmas classics and hymns, decorating the house with ornaments and ribbons, trimming the tree, hanging the wreath on the front door, the cold weather outside—no snow yet here in NC, but I have my fingers crossed—hot chocolate, eggnog, snuggly cats looking for warmth (Oliver and Ian tend to avoid us in the summer), and yes of course, opening presents on Christmas morning. Am I getting a little too old to be excited by presents? Probably, but this year, like most years, I have no idea what my wife got me, and she has a pretty good track record so far… so needless to say I can’t wait to see her gifts. I am equally excited to give Katherine her presents this year, I will not say what I got her here as she may read this, but I know that she will love them!

Here is a photo of our decorated tree that we put up a couple of weeks ago:





On a related Christmas note, I would like to send a warm season’s greetings to all of you who are reading this post. I hope that you have a wonderful Christmas this year and a very Happy New Year spending time with friends and family! I will miss not seeing my family in California this year, my younger siblings still at home (I am the oldest in my family), and playing our Christmas or sometimes New Years Day tradition of playing the domino game “42” — a trick-taking game that is similar to rummy; however, it will be nice to spend a quiet Christmas with Katherine and the two cats this year.   

I find this time of year to be inspiring creatively, the changing weather in particular as the leaves are now gone from the trees out my window and my view of the pines across the street are unobstructed. Yesterday, I finished a new abstract acrylic painting, Reflections No. 2: Fading Light, which features a deep cold blue, melting into a warm yellow at the center. I will be posting a short time-lapse video of this complete painting near the beginning of next week.


Reflections No. 2, Fading Light. Abstracted Landscape. Acrylic on Canvas. 18 x 24 in. 
Artist Charles Wolf. Charles Wolf Studio © 2015


The holidays are always a wonderful time to be creative together, either by yourself or with your children (if you have any). Doing festive projects together like baking, cooking, crafts, drawing and more. I hope that you can take this time that you have off and do a creative activity! Here are just a few simple ideas:

1. Personalize a holiday card with a drawing
2. Make a gingerbread house with frosting, gumdrops, pretzels, and graham crackers
3. Color in a holiday themed coloring book
4. Paint on a clear ornament for the tree (maybe some glitter?)

These activities are just off the top of my head, what can you come up with? Let me know other ideas you may have in the comments below. 

Again this will be a lighter week for Impulsive Artistry blog with Christmas on Friday, but next week we will be back to the standard amount of new content. Among that new material, I have a new guest feature coming out soon, a brand new podcast being launched by two young, professional composers I know (hopefully next week), a time-lapse video of Reflections No. 2, more original music by me, and a new article series on “How to Write Music!”

Once again, have the very happiest and wonderful Christmas this year; remember the birth of our Lord - the reason for the season, and I will be back next week!

—Charles


Suddenly a great company of the heavenly host appeared with the angel, praising God and saying, “Glory to God in the highest heaven, and on earth peace to those on whom his favor rests.”

Luke 2, 13-14.



If you enjoyed reading this article, please Subscribe to Impulsive Artistry either by likeing my Facebook Page; Follow me on Google+, or by email subscription to this blog (upper right-hand sidebar on this page). ---------> 




   

No comments: